Skip to main content
All CollectionsFrequently Asked Questions
Can my family accompany me to the U.S.?
Can my family accompany me to the U.S.?
Alison Martin avatar
Written by Alison Martin
Updated over a week ago

EPI does sponsor the immediate family members as dependents on the J-2 visa. 

Family members eligible for the J-2 sponsorship include:

  • Legal Spouse

  • Dependent children under the age of 21

If your J-2 dependent turns 21 while in the U.S., they will be required to leave the country at that time. 

EPI encourages the EPI applicants to consider the costs of supporting a family when they apply to the program. You must have between $2000-$3000 in your bank account at the time of applying for visas, depending on the size of your family. 

As a J-1 visa holder, you are responsible to financially support your dependents during your stay in the US. During this time, you would not be eligible for government aid or assistance. 

Please note, In order for your spouse to work on a J-2 visa, they must submit a work authorization application as well as the required application fee to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The approval process may take as long as 90 days.

Did this answer your question?